The first-ever round of the all-electric Extreme E rally held in AlUla, Saudi Arabia, last weekend saw the emergence of its very first race winner, Rosberg X Racing. Their drivers, Johan Kristoffersson and Molly Taylor, delivered a sensational victory despite a number of setbacks, but the duo came out on top as well as a comfortable lead in the championship.
The Desert X Prix showcases what the Rosberg X Racing team is made of, despite tough competition from the likes of Andretti United's Timmy Hansen and Catie Munnings who were only 23 seconds behind as well as X44's duo, Sébastien Loeb and Cristina Gutiérrez who completed the gruelling race 1 minute 38 seconds behind the race winner. That's definitely something the Rosberg X Racing drivers can shout about.
According to Nico Rosberg, founder and CEO of Rosberg X Racing, "This is insane. I’m so thankful to the whole team for the effort put in this weekend, which has been intense and really on-the-edge. Everything has come together so well and everybody has worked together so well."
"We have a fantastic team of engineers and mechanics, who prepared perfectly for this first weekend with so many unknowns, and Molly and Johan produced some phenomenal driving. Neither of them put a foot wrong in really tough conditions, and they both showed unbelievable speed out there – their performance was really inspiring and I felt really proud watching them. To come back to claim victory after a 60-second penalty caused by a technical problem is just awesome, and they are definitely deserving winners. For the championship as a whole, it’s really been a good start." added Rosberg.
The championship standings are as follows:
- Rosberg X Racing (Johan Kristoffersson / Molly Taylor) 35 points
- X44 (Sébastien Loeb / Cristina Gutiérrez) 30 points
- Andretti United (Timmy Hansen / Catie Munnings) 28 points
- ACCIONA | Sainz XE Team (Carlos Sainz / Laia Sanz) 26 points
- Hispano Suiza XITE Energy Team (Oliver Bennett / Christine Giampaoli Zonca) 20 points
- JBXE (Jenson Button / Mikaela Åhlin-Kottulinsky) 17 points
- ABT Cupra XE (Mattias Ekström / Claudia Hürtgen) 13 points
- Segi TV Chip Ganassi Racing (Kyle LeDuc / Sara Price) 12 points
- Veloce Racing (Stéphane Sarrazin / Jamie Chadwick) 8 points
Image source: Rosberg X Racing